Saturday, November 13, 2010

Embracing the Cold 11.13.10

Something I've been learning over the past few frigid weeks is that you have to think like a polar bear. Yes, I know it sounds ridiculous, but hear me out. A polar bear is completely content in its environment. It roams the frozen tundra of the Arctic circle and swims through the icy waters of the ocean to find its food, sometimes miles away. The best part about the polar bear is its adaptation. Did you know that the polar bear actually evolved from the brown bear? Go figure! The polar bear was actually a product of natural selection during a period of isolation in a colder environment. Did you get that? The polar bear came about because it had to deal with the cold! So why can't I do that? All I have to do is gain 500 pounds, grow white fur instead of brown hair, and play in the snow all day long, right? Or maybe I should just put on my white winter jacket and furry boots, and then attempt to change my feelings toward the snow by trying not to completely detest it; that might work better. But if a brown bear can do it, I certainly can (Just don't mention how many brown bears probably died in the process of becoming polar bears, okay?).

We are moving right along into November and that means I want to get out of bed less and less in the mornings because of how cold my apartment is. Of course, having the heater not cooperate does cause some issues too. Maybe when it actually turns on I will feel better about being awake in the morning. Then again, there really isn't much better in this world than waking up in a soft warm bed and knowing you don't have to get up right away, so maybe I won't complain too much. I guess there could maybe, possibly, conceivably, perhaps, be some good things about winter; but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

I really am working on embracing the cold weather and everything that comes with it. So far I've got Christmas and hot chocolate. Holiday food should probably get thrown into that mix. Come to think of it, maybe it wouldn't be so hard to gain 500 pounds in the winter after all. Polar bears know what they're doing. I bet all the coca-cola they drink helps put on that weight too...
Trying to deal without sunshine,
LoMo
 

1 comment:

  1. "Adapt or die" was Darwin's cry,
    But don't forget residuals:
    It's species that adapt or die,
    But not so, individuals!

    "Adapt and try" all teachers plea,
    With tact and premises ajar:
    That somehow, someway you would be
    Unsatisfied with how you are!

    "Adapt or cry" some friends imply,
    But that's an immorality:
    The greatest pain is to belie
    Your individuality!

    "Adapt or not" is what I say,
    (I grant you loads of latitude)
    Feel free; pursue your chosen way,
    But keep your cheerful attitude!

    ReplyDelete