Wednesday, October 27, 2010

October Snow 10.27.10

Did I mention it started snowing on my way home yesterday? At the time it was just a few flurries that were gracefully smacking me in the face. But I was horrified to discover what lay outside my front door this morning. A white blanket of snow covering every inch of grass, tree branches, car hoods, and people as it melted and dripped onto everyone that had the misfortune of walking to school in the nasty weather. Did someone forget to tell Jack Frost he isn't allowed to play his little games until after October?

With the lovely haphazard weather changes comes another unfortunate side effect: the common cold. You know, the one that makes you just sick enough to be annoying but not sick enough to actually keep you from doing everything? You cough, sneeze, feel fatigued, and still can't justify staying in bed all day, wishing you were either not sick at all or at least had a fever. Unfortunately, it seems that however hard you might try to avoid contracting this most inconvenient of illnesses, there is no hope.You will get sick whether it comes from the girl sitting next to you in your Music class or the guy in front of you in line at the book store. You take Airborne (which my mother claims "does absolutely nothing," but has still saved my life on multiple occasions), drink orange juice, eat soup, and sleep more, just to realize that when you actually get sick you will be doing all of those things anyway; you'll just feel a lot worse. I am one of those unlucky ones, compounding my dislike for cold weather and the Funk, which now is even more of an issue since I really want to do everything and nothing at the same time. Not to worry. I'll probably live through this cold in the same way I've lived through all the rest. Maybe I'll just sleep until the Sun decides to warm things up again . . .
Wishing for sunshine,
LoMo

4 comments:

  1. If you are so into placebos at least take some vitamin C. We know it's a water soluble vitamin and will just be purged if your body doesn't need it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well… I don’t mind if it should snow:
    It changes all the scenes I know,
    It set her rosy cheeks aglow!
    But how I hate the winds that blow.

    And I don’t mind if it should rain:
    The flowers feel relief from pain,
    She’d claim the puddles entertain!
    While winds are naught but nature’s bane.

    Oh sure, I like the warming sun,
    And love the sunset when it’s done.
    She said she never had such fun!
    But with the winds it’s all undone.

    Or I don’t mind it overcast;
    The world is better with contrast.
    She thought the day was unsurpassed!
    But with the winds I fall downcast.

    With winds I cancel plans to walk:
    They fling such stuff that I just balk.
    She said her hair made people gawk!
    I’m stuck indoors, defendant’s dock.

    But then, I thought of something strange:
    Without the winds, there’d be no change,
    No clouds that move, no weather’s range;
    In sum, it seems, a fair exchange.

    For nature has her own sweet flow:
    In all good time the snow will go,
    The rain and sun make flowers grow,
    And wind will cause the leaves to blow.

    We used to catch them, she and I,
    The leaves when falling from the sky;
    The wind would laugh when we would try!
    Too bad she had to say goodbye.

    ReplyDelete
  3. At least you have snow...... I hate Florida.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I once knew a girl with the name Julia,
    Whose home (but not heart) was in Florida,
    She'd pine for the snow and she wished she could go
    To live among friends in some utopia.

    For there, where the weather would be always right,
    The life she would lead was unending delight:
    All work that was done became nothing but fun;
    All people were loving; so, no one would fight.

    Her pining caused pain; so I told her, "My dear,
    "The heaven you seek is amazingly near:
    "It's not off afar; it's wherever you are;
    "Your mind can make heaven right here!"

    And now that she's older she's starting to see:
    A world without contrast just never could be.
    She's glad when she's sad; there's no good without bad;
    They're linked much like Julia's linked with Marie.

    ReplyDelete